Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relookup from Calculation Field

This topic is 6190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Using FM Pro 8.5. I have a file sorted on a specific number field. The number of times each number appears in this field is determined by a Summary calculation (= Count of) followed by a Calculation field (Unstored, = GetSummary). The individual numbers are in the "Body" section of the layout. The count is in the "Sub-summary" of the layout. As such, the count appears after last time the specific number is displayed. This works perfectly. The issue comes when another file performs Relookup of the number being counted and the corresponding count. The counted number is not picked up. Any ideas? I am new at Version 8.5. This works great in Filemaker 2.1 (real old version, but produces the desired results).

FMP 2.1 was flat file.

I'd suggest that you revisit the whole data structure of the system and do it relationally. I'll bet your need to summarise, count and Re-lookup will magically disappear.

• Newbies

I tried to restructure the entire data structure using relationships instead of relookups. The result is the same in as the "Count" as described in my initial posting does not appear in the file looking it up.

When I attempt to remove the check in the "Storage Option" on the count field from the prompt "Do not store the calculation result -- recalculate as needed", Filemaker displays an alert indicating that the "summary field can not be stored or indexed because it references a related field, summary field, and unstored calculation field, or a field with a global storage".

It is true that that field references a Summary field, but I believe this lack of allowing the storing of the number is the cause of the lookup and relationship functions not working.

Any help will really be appreciated.

• Newbies

It seems my discription is camouflaging the real issue.

FM 8.5 will not allow a calculation field to be saved because the calculation references a summary field. As a result, neither the Relookup nor Relationship functions will get the calculated value into another file.

Would appreciate some advice on how to get the calculated value transferred.

This topic is 6190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.