construct (a.k.a. the conditional relationship)

Rob P

This topic is 6180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to create what is a union of 2 equi-joins in a single portal. Can it be done? The conditions are mutually exclusive under normal circumstances.

On one side of the relationship I can select either a type OR an id. The purpose is that when I select a type, I am creating a grouping that will be assigned an id. Once I assign an id, I can only view those records in the portal by selecting it's id.

Now I have to be able to edit that set assigned the id which could mean adding or removing records from that group. That means I have to be able to view the records from that ID AND distinctly the available records of that TYPE.

Creating a separate portal to do this will muck up the interface and it will not be as user friendly than if I do it in a single portal.

Edited by Guest
quotes don't work in Subject line

Your solution effectively answer the "OR" but it does not answer the conditional. There are 3 possible lists I want.

Lets say in your list everyone is Mike, Pat or Bessie.

Some of these records have a last name.

1) I want to see all Bessie's that don't have a last name.

2) I want to see all last names that are Ford. It is understood that all Fords also have a first name of Bessie but I don't want to see any Bessies that don't have a last name.

3) I want to combine list 1 & 2 - All Bessie's that don't have a last name AND ALL Bessie Ford's.

The problem is that 1 & 2 cancel each other out for list 3.

Ah! an XOR relation (pretty exiting), I have to poke down in my math litterature ...it has gone time for some family life, could you await until tomorrow.

Alright you can give it try yourself meanwhile:

F = ¬AxB+Ax¬B

¬ = not

x = OR

+ = AND

--sd

This topic is 6180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.