Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New problems with sharing

This topic is 6168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

One of my clients suddenly is having trouble sharing a database. Connecting to the database has become GLACIAL, and then performing any operation takes FOREVER. (They have one host, and five people sharing.)

All are using 8 v1, though I tried connecting with 8.5 v1 on my own computer (connected to their LAN) and had same issues. (With nobody else connected.)

I also tried installing Server, but still the same performance. I also tried with FM sample files, and experienced a similar slowdown. (Not as dramatic, since these files are smaller.)

The IT guys claim that they didn't do anything to the network...but I can't understand how that could possibly be the case, since this problem is new -- the company was using the database just fine for a year.

The IT guys claims the local network (not the Internet access) is fast -- I can get details if this proves to be important.

Anybody have any suspicions about the culprit?

Steverino:

If the network speed is indeed fine (even just a ping test will confirm that) then I would take a closer look at the machine being used as a host. A number of issues could cause your slowdown: other tasks hogging CPU cycles or drive access, an overloaded HD, or some strange new configuration on the box. Only a close look will tell in those regards. There are a couple of other things that could do this, which are FileMaker-specific.

First, take a look at the files being shared. Are any of them vastly larger than they had been? Huge images in container fields can seriously slow access. Another possibility would be alterations to calculations, etc., but modern boxes are usually fast enough to handle them. Then there is the possibility of file corruption. We're best off leaving that as the longshot, unless you run out of other explanations.

One way to check the FileMaker issues is to look at the files locally and see if there is a performance drop there. You could use a tool like FMDiff to compare the current file to an older backup to see what programmatic changes have been done, if you suspect that to be the cause.

Best of luck.

-Stanley

The 8.0v1 client could have corrupted the field indexes (or other nasty things: it had bugs). Update the client to 8.0v3 and re-index the fields.

I'm very embarrassed -- after trying to isolate the problem (hours and hours!), I realized that the network was definitely the culprit. In fact, with some fiddling the IT guy discovered that the network jack was bad.

He replaced it, and everything's smooth sailing!

This topic is 6168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.