replacing TROI FILE functions

This topic is 6154 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am migrating from a FM6 database to an FM8 database. FM8 handled most of the conversion rather well, except for the troiFile functions that my FM6 scripts used.

Does FM8 have built-in functions for file handling? Or will I be forced to look at another 3rd party plugin for file-handling for FM8.

Thanks

You can work with dynamic file names and locations but you can't replicate all of the features built-into the Troi File plug-in like moving and deleting files. Troi does have a version of their File plug-in for version 7/8/8.5 www.troi.com.

Here's a file that demonstrates dynamic file naming:

Dynamic File Names

Edited by Guest

Also, the newest version of the file plugin finally got me to buy it by adding the Execute_Shell function. This is a great addition to the other features since you can execute any shell function and return STDOUT right to a field. (The abstrakt and the yooshell versions don't appear to be updated and are not universal for intel macs)

Put this together with an install of perl on mac or windows and you can do quite a bit. I just picked up a copy of Minimal Perl, and it's gotten me interested in perl all over again simply as a way to get grep, sed, and awk like features easily on both win and mac platforms.

This topic is 6154 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.