Shared file's extension is missing.

This topic is 6100 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a shared solution made in FMP4 that consists of 7 related files.

I am upgrading to FMP9.

I am only using the FMP "client", not any web.

I have converted the files fine and the solution seems OK up to a point. I have done some simple tests and the relations seem to be working on the local system.

When I share the file, the extension (.FM) is missing and although I can open all 7 files remotely and see their data, the relations don't work.

I get pop-ups that say, for example... "xyz.FM could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

The file is available, I have already opened it and see the data. The problem is that it only shows up as "xyz" without the ".FM". This solution still runs fine on the old systems because the files show up with their full names.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

Have you read the migration white paper and followed its recommendatons? There is a lot that can be done to clean up the *original* files that ensures a better outcome for the conversion.

http://filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm8_migration.pdf

• Newbies

Thanks. It looks like I have my work cut out for me. The solution is a spider web of relations and the all of the layouts are tight with fields from the relations.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 breaking the ‘client’ drove this whole thing. Only the old Macs have been able to run the app for a while and the pain threshold has been reached.

What is the highest version that will be able to connect to my v3 server (running on Mac OS 9)? Or, is there a fix for v4.1 on XP?

Maybe I can get an old 30-day demo that is >4 & <9 to relieve some of the suffering until I rewrite my solution. The server is healthy and I have the spare parts and backups to keep it going even longer. I just need something that will allow my solution to be shared and compatible with XP SP2 clients.

This topic is 6100 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.