Problem specifying xsl style sheet

bfalcon

This topic is 6118 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Every time I want to use an xsl style sheet I have to specify it manually first. I've tried abolute & relative paths under both file & http requests. In all cases it will work if I select or type in a path to the xsl sheet, but stops working if I close and restart the file. When trying to import for the first time without specifying the file location manually the program locks up and I have to restart. Upon restarting the correct path is still stored and written correctly but I have to respecify (the exact same thing that was stored) in order for the import to work. Am I forgetting to do something silly or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance for your help!

First, unless you're doing this within a script step, FileMaker ain't gonna remember. Second, if FileMaker is crashing, you should make sure you have the latest version for 7, 7.0v3. Earlier versions were buggy.

Also, there was sometimes a problem if the xml file was remote, like on a web site, and the xsl file was local. I remember locking up FileMaker fairly often when I was learning to do this. But they seem to have fixed that, sometime. I have not had it crash with FileMaker 8.5 (knock on wood). So you might consider upgrading FileMaker. (Of course the current version 9.0v1 may have a bug or 2; these X.0v1 versions usually do; but likely not with that.)

FileMaker 8+ lets you dynamically specify file paths in Import/Export, all kinds of places. Very useful.

It is a very serious thing to lock up your data file repeatedly. Unless it's just for fun (but it ain't fun), you should do whatever it takes to stop this happening.

• Newbies

Thank you for your quick response.

I am doing it within a script step.

I upgraded to 7.0v3 and the problem's still there.

Both files are local (in the same folder).

I also noticed it doesn't crash if I open the file through filemaker instead of double clicking the file icon directly or by using a shortcut. Strange that absolute paths don't fix the problem given that.

Re: "It is a very serious thing to lock up your data file repeatedly..."

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but why? And can/should I clean up the file or my system after having locked it up repeatedly?

Another peculiar situation I remember having was that it appeared to lockup, but what happened was that a file navigation dialog window had appeared, but it was behind the other window, and greyed out. When I went to and clicked it, it became active an everything was OK.

But there was something somewhat flaky about trying to choose the xml or xsl file. I can't remember the sequence exactly, except to tell you it works one way, but gets kind of frozen the other way, especially when you tried to change the file by double-clicking on another file.

So, there is a safe way to do it. Experiment and you'll find it; with a "test" file ;)-!

I almost never do it that way anymore however. In FileMaker 8+ we generally set the file path into a script Variable (new), then use that in the file path boxes. It's more flexible. I also think they made that xml/xsl file dialog sturdier, 'cause I never get frozen there anymore (I was nervous about it for a while after using 7).

As far as crashing your file. The sage advice is: Never continue development on a file that has crashed. Go back to latest backup file you have which has never crashed. Recreate any structural changes. Import data (after inspecting for unexpected characters) from a Recovered copy of the crashed file.

Needless to say, it's hard advice to follow. It's possibly even harder advice to not follow. Because the only file you can be reasonably certain is free of corruption is one that has never crashed. Because there is no sure-fire way to test for corruption, other than seeing things misbehave, or weird characters in the data.*

At the very least, one can say: If you are having problems with the file and/or environment, do not continue testing with your actual data file. Crash a copy instead :)-]

Most people (hopefully not professional developers) would fall somewhere in the middle. They've had a few unexpected quits, but continue to use the file. Everything seems to be OK, so they're not worrying.

This topic is 6118 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.