Server Maintenance This Week. ×

A record file & a browsing file

Heathbo

This topic is 6126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here is what I'm trying to do. I have a FileMaker file(A) with over 800 records in it. I want to create another FileMaker file(;) that will browse the first file. That way I can make updates without requiring the end user to re-import their entire database. My question is. Is there a way to browse all the records in File(A) through one record in File(:). Otherwise I would have to run a script that creates a new record in File (B) for every record in File (A) and then import the keys from File (A). Is there a better way of doing this? Am I going about this all wrong? Any help you can give is much appreciated.

You don't need to "browse all records ... through one record." If you create a File Reference in File B, and then build a Relationship graph in B based on the data tables in A, then you'll be able to view, edit, etc. all the records in A.

It's called the Separation Model ; you should check out the Separation Model Forum here. That design method is specifically designed to provide User Interface access in one file, and Data Storage in another.

HTH,

David

This topic is 6126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.