Navigation

bpal

This topic is 6114 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

:bang:

I have a database that manages all my clients and current projects.

I would like to create one layout that holds on navigation that I could then include in each layout.

This way if add a module or remove one the navigation would automatically be updated to all layouts and it would not require me to edit all 100+ layouts.

Is this possible and if it is how ?

Edited by Guest

You mean like a master template? No can do in FileMaker.

100+ layouts?

One of the tricks is to standardise on a design up front.

Essentially yes...

But there are ways to make it part of your data structure if for example you were happy with something like side bar navigation (i.e. via a portal) - not entirely pretty though.... it depends how you set it up.

It would seem to me that if you had navigation options for over a hundred layouts on every layout, you wouldn't have much room for anything else.

My own experience in this area is that I found that my layouts had a limited need for navigation--not all layouts had to go to every other, but the layouts in the Clients area had one set of navigational links, while the invoices layouts had a different (but standard within them) navigation. Therefore, adding a layout would only entail re-working a few of the layouts, not all.

[Note that basic navigation-- next/previous/last/first --can be created as one set of buttons and one script.]

One way you could have new layouts quickly appear on many layouts would be to create a "Layouts" table, store the layout name and any other metadata (say, whether the window opens maximized, etc.), and then use this table for a value list and dropdown. Then create a single script and button that takes the value in this and uses the Go To Layout command. Now, you have one script and one dropdown for every layout, and you can have unlimited layouts added to everything.

David

This topic is 6114 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.