Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Integrated Windows Authentication

This topic is 6112 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is true Integrated Windows Authentication on a Windows box possible?

The FM Client uses this, but coming through Internet Explorer through Server Advanced forces authentication.

We have RSA fobs at work for the desktop but no RSA on the servers so people have to remember their windows passwords to log into Server advanced ...

Any work around for this? Does Server 9 Advanced add this by chance?

First, take a look at the External Server Authentication White Paper for some general information.

There is a distinction between external authentication and Single Sign On. In an all Windows environment the FMP client can use true SSO. Web browsers accessing the files can be externally authenticated for both IWP and CWP. They do not, especially in the instance of IWP, provide for SSO or for stored credentials. This change was introduced with FileMaker Server 8 Advanced. It remains unchanged in FIleMaker Server 9.

If you are desirous of having different behavior, I'd recommend your submitting a feature request to FMI.

Steven

I should add that it is possible to configure the IIS settings to require authentication via Active Directory. Theoretically in such an instance, if the FileMaker Pro files would were to mimic exactly the Active Directory structure, in an all Windows OS environment, you supposedly can perform SSO.

I have ever heard of only one instance of someone's successfully doing this, and it was not in a production environment.

Steven

This topic is 6112 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.