Host's capacity exceeded "again"

This topic is 6084 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am in the process of converting from filemaker 5 to 8.5 advanced. I was doing my testing on a single machine and all went well. I then started a second one and created file references from the secont to the first. as I was about to re-establish the relationships I recieved the "host's capacity has been exceeded". I have read all the other posts and have made sure I have the correct serial numbersz on the machines and I still get same message. The odd part is that at I can connect via remote from the first computer to the second but not the other way around. I have four computer total and I can get them all to connect to the "second" computer but I cannot get any other connectivity between them. Any help would be welcome

You may have exceed the socket capacity of the older version in peer to peer.

Oh how I wish they would jsut do away with peer to peer.

It is widely believed that FMP 6 and earlier van open 50 files and host them. That's not accurate. Here's the very intricate underpinning of all this.

There are 254 sockets.

The host retains 50 of these for its own internal use.

Each connected file then takes 2 sockets per guest. Therefore if Guest 1 has 50 files open, it has consumed 100 sockets of the remaining 204, leaving 104 for Guest 2. Guest 2 then opens 50 files and consumes 100 sockets, leaving 4. Guess what happens when the 3rd Guest wants to connect.

My real advice to you on this is to upgrade to the modern versions. Failing that, get FIleMaker Server 5.5.

Steven

• Newbies

It is happening in the converted files. And at this point I am just testing so I may only have one file open and trying to connect from one other computer.Even if I do not have a file currently open I cannot connect via remote to a file on the other computers other than in the one direction I described above. I may need to look into a version of FM server to solve the problem

This topic is 6084 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.