Hi, I'm looking for some help from some people that are smarter than I am! I looked at doing synchronization between multiple remote FMP 9.0 databases using SyncDek, but the cost is so high! I a

This topic is 6080 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I'm looking for some help from some people that are smarter than I am! I looked at doing synchronization between multiple remote FMP 9.0 databases using SyncDek, but the cost is so high! I also looked at using fmSQL Synch, but its only available for the Mac (we're using Win XP). So I came up with the following idea.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR FEEDBACK ON WHETHER YOU THINK IT WILL WORK!

Our solution requires off-line transactions and then synchronization, so I'm thinking of setting up the following:

* Create a local MySQL database structure from a FMP 9.0 database using FMPro Migrator (on a Win XP PC)

* Linking a new FMP 9.0 database "interface" to the newly created local MySQL database (i.e. using FMP as the front-end and the local MySQL database as a "data bucket")

* Duplicating the structure of the local MySQL database on a remotely hosted linux server using WEByog software

* Scheduled synchronization of the local and remotely hosted MySQL database data using WEByog software

* Managing any changes to the local MySQL database structure using TOAD for MySQL and then synchronizing those changes with WEByog software

* Automating photo and PDF folder synchronization between the local PC and remote server using xStarter software via FTP

* Referencing all photos as calculations/containers to view in the application

The reason that we can't connect directly to a remote MySQL server first (without first going through a local MySQL database) is that the users do not always have internet access (i.e. we are in Latin America where the internet service is poor and also some of the users are managers that travel and still need to work when there is no internet connection available).

The cost associated with this way of doing the synchronization (not including FMP 9.0) is as follows:

* $100 for FMPro Migrator (FMP to MySQL dB structure duplication)

* $39.50/PC for xStarter (automating FTP transfer of photos and PDFs)

* $67/PC for WEByog (automating MySQL synchronization of data and structure)

* $0/PC for TOAD Free for MySQL (MySQL management)

* $0/PC for ActivePerl (required for FMPro Migrator)

* $0/PC for MySQL 4.1.22

TOTAL cost for 1 development PC and 5 other PCs linking to the Linux server = $739 (versus thousands of dollars using SyncDek)

Plus, we don't need to buy FMP 9.0 Server Advanced or host it locally (we have extended internet and power outage problems in Latin America!)...we can host the data and files on an inexpensive remote host server.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.