How do I toggle between exporting different subsets of fields

This topic is 6196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

[color:blue][color:blue]How do I toggle between exporting different subsets of [color:purple]fields

I use File Maker pro version 6.0 on a Mac and would like to know how I can easily export different subsets of fields from my records. I know how to cherry pick the fields each time, but that is tedious when one of my subsets contains about a couple score of fields, another contains a different few dozen or so fields, still another may contain several baker's dozens of fields and yet another may contain a completely different bevy of fields. In my work, I have to switch amongst exporting these different subsets. I know how to duplicate the entire file and to set the default of each copy to export different subsets of fields, but that is also tedious as each time I want to update the records or fields, each copy has to be updated. If you know how to do this easier, please let me know. thank you

As such is it always the present found set you export! So you need to adopt a method or two store found sets or saved searches.

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/saved-sets-storing-the-results-of-what-is-found.html

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/saved-searches-making-it-easy-to-search-again-and-again-and-again-br-free-video.html

--sd

• Newbies

I don't see how your answer relates to my question. I am not having issues with finding subsets of records in my file. I am having issues with exporting different SETS OF FIELDS from my records.

Oh I misread your post I'm sorry. Since you're on fm6 can't you yet have more than one exportmapping. Unless you use the result of GetField( in you mapping, but it's still with problems - if you then have 4 fields for this redirection process ...but only need 3 will your export contain blanks in every record.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/FunctionsRef-37.html

...another option is to have every field as a record a relation away. What you then do is to switch between layouts with calcfields plucking among these field'ish behaving records. Lookup next higher comes to mind.

--sd

• Newbies

Thank you for your response to my question. Apparently I cannot have multiple export mappings. Only the last mapping is saved and brought up as the default the next time an export is initicated. Changing all of my fields into individual records seems like an impossible task that I should not have to do. Do you know if multiple mappings of fields to export became possible in more recent versions of Filemaker? Does anybody else have any ideas? Thank you.

"Apparently I cannot have multiple export mappings."

A script can only store one export mapping. Create a separate script for each export mapping. Then call the script each time a particular export mapping is required.

• Newbies

Vaughan - Thank you for your great suggestion. I took a look at the script making process and do not see a way to specify the mapping of fields. I am used to formulating "Macros" in excel where I can go through each step as normal and a recording is made. Is there a way to do that with FMP? Can you tell me how to formulate the script? I am given 3 options when I select "export records" using the script making tool. They are "Restore export order," "Perform without dialog," and "Specify File."

Perform the export manually. Then create a script that includes the Export Records script step and select the option to restore export order. (The script need only have one step in it, the Export Records step.)

Now manually modify the export and create a new script with the Export Records step. This will remember the second export order.

Rinse and repeat.

Now when you want to export records, call the script that has the desired export order saved in it.

(In FMP 7 and later the field mapping can be done from within the Export Records script step itself.)

This topic is 6196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.