Server Maintenance This Week. ×

importing records with XML

rhkodama

This topic is 6065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want to know how to add one record to an existing database using an XML file. I did an experiment where I exported an XML file from the same Filemaker database, deleted all but one record, then edited the remaining record to make it distinct from existing records in the database. Then I tried to import it, using "File"-"Import Records"-"XML data source", specifying that it should "add new records". What happens is that all existing records are deleted and the one record in the XML file is now the only one in the database. I'm supposing I need to make some changes in the syntax of the XML file in order to append it to the existing records, but I don't know how. Thanks for any help!

I want to know how to add one record to an existing database using an XML file. I did an experiment where I exported an XML file from the same Filemaker database, deleted all but one record, then edited the remaining record to make it distinct from existing records in the database. Then I tried to import it, using "File"-"Import Records"-"XML data source", specifying that it should "add new records". What happens is that all existing records are deleted and the one record in the XML file is now the only one in the database. I'm supposing I need to make some changes in the syntax of the XML file in order to append it to the existing records, but I don't know how. Thanks for any help!

I'm doing a lot of this lately and still fairly new at it also.... but maybe I can help some.

A couple of things.. Can you post the single record XML? What XSL stylesheet do you use to import with? (maybe not needed since the structure is the same as the file in use) Are you sure they are deleted or is it only showing the one record after import? - Try show all'' from the 'Records' menu.

This topic is 6065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.