Can't get Filemaker to open remote file

This topic is 5943 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am not sure what discussion group to post this message, so if this is the wrong place, please let me know.

I have 3 computers running on an Airport network at home. I have a G5 iMac with Filemaker Pro 8.5, and a 17" MacBook Pro with FMP 8.0, and a 15" MacBook Pro with FMP 7. I used to be able to open a file on my iMac with the MacBook Pro and use it on both computers at the same time. For sometime now, I have been unable to open a file using the Open Remote function. I can connect the computers with the Network and I can actually open the file from the other computer by Mounting it with Network and then finding the file and opening it, but only one computer at a time can use the file this way.

I used to be able to select the Open Remote function in FMP and see my other compter and see the file that was open on the other computer. Now it won't show me the remote file. It doesn't make any difference if I have connected to the other computer with Network or not. In the past, it didn't make any difference if they were mounted or not. If the file was open on one computer, I could see it on the other. I can see the other compter (I think) when I use the Open Remote function. I don't know what has changed that made it stop working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you very much,

Frank Moore

• Newbies

:)

I got the answer from the MacWorld 911 forum.

The problem was that I had to turn off the Firewall on the computers.

Once I did that, I could open the files using the Open Remote command in the File Menu.

Does anyone know if there is a way around having to turn off the Firewall?

Frank Moore

This topic is 5943 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.