The Database Server Is Not Available Error!

This topic is 5854 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using FMS 9 and have not used the server software before. I loaded it a few months ago, but, have been working on my new application and not spent time with it. I felt it was time to upload the databases to the server side and went to start the console. The console starts and I get the following:

PHP - On

IWP - Off

XML - On

XSLT - On

---

Database Server Off

ODBC/JDBC - Off

+++++++++

When I click on a left menu item I get:

"The Database Server is not available.

Admin Console functionality is limited to FileMaker Server overview. To use further functionality, please start the Database Server again."

On the top of the page there is a message:

"An error was encountered communicating with the server."

I click on start database server and it seems to load. When I look at the menu item "Start Database Server" is Grey and "Stop Database Server" is Bold. As soon as I click on a left menu item the same messages appear again.

Can anyone suggest what the problems might be. I have not been able to find any info on this.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

You appear to be on Windows OS. In the OS Services Control Panel, be sure FileMaker Server is started and running. Then you can click on the start icon in the Console.

If you are on Mac OS, you must use the Terminal to start the FileMaker Server daemon first.

Steven

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

I have a FileMaker 9 Server Advanced installation running since January on the server. Encountered this exact same issue as you described. For me it occurred after a power outage. The issue was driving me up the wall.

I was thinking something in the database server was corrupted so I would have to reinstall it. Having searched the web and not finding much information about it, I was a bit frustrated.

Then I realized I forgot to check the event.log. The log stated that the database server was quitting due to another copy of the server version using the same serial number. D'OH! I had forgot that I installed the FileMaker Server Advanced on my personal computer so I could mess with it. The server computer was looking at my personal computer and saying, "Oh we can't run the database server cause someone is already running it on this network".

So I turned off my personal computer, restarted the FileMaker 9 Server Advanced Admin Console, and everything was fine.

Could this be what happened to you?

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5854 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.