multiple email clients

vixster

This topic is 5911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi, newbie here.

on os x 10.4.11 using fmp 8.5 and 9

i use both "mail" and entourage for email clients.

how do i specify which application in fmp script i'll use?

my default is mail.

sometimes i want to use entrouage sending out email via fmp database/script.

any help would be great..

THANK YOU

I think FileMaker is always going to use the default email client. And I'm fairly sure there is no way for FileMaker itself to offer a "switch" to toggle which it uses. I think if you want that capability you would have to use AppleScript to tell the application to send the email, using FileMaker fields.

Which is not all that hard. Though a bit more difficult if you want to add an attachment. (If you use AppleScript to talk to the email client, you can add multiple attachments.)

You would only have to do this for Entourage, in other words, only for the non-default email app. Both Mail and Entourage have AppleScript dictionaries. I imagine you can find examples of doing this.

Please change your profile here to say something other than FileMaker Pro 4. Makes people, at first glance, to think you're antique :)-]

Do you have a script to do this? I am not sure where to start... basically i make a pdf of the current screen then peform a script to go to email and make it an attachment to the email..

how would i do this w/ applescript and integrate it.

thanks again.

and i do put in 8.5fmp, don't know why it's 4.0..

• 2 weeks later...

I've got this same problem. Entourage 2004 or 2008, just doesn't show up. I remember it used to go into the drafts fold but nada. Trying to find a simple Applescript that will set the default mail program to Mail, let filemaker run an email address gathering loop, and then run the script again to toggle back to Entourage.

I thought I might be able to write one that will simply reset mail's preference file, since it seems that is where the default mail settings are stored (couldn't find a default toggle script in Mail's pkg contents - or anywhere else) but Mail plist is crazy more complicated than the other plist's I've hacked around on.

So yes, please, if anyone has a script or a path to look at would appreciate it.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5911 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.