This topic is 5934 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am currently using FM7 advanced server on OS X. I am having the following problem. The server is serving about 40 databases and was running perfectly for the last one year. But last week when I closed the console and tried logging into the server using the server admin FM7A. It asked me for password, though I am sure about the password it didnt accept it and never let me in. However it is running perfectly in the back ground and serving databases. But I am able to login in to another server using the same server admin. Please can someone help me with this problem. I am also pasting the log file details which I think may be related to this:

02/04/2008 01:27:47 PM VTPB_FMS7A Administrator authentication method: Password required

02/04/2008 01:27:47 PM VTPB_FMS7A Remote administration: Enabled

02/04/2008 01:27:47 PM VTPB_FMS7A Secure (SSL) Network Encryption: Disabled

02/04/2008 01:24:31 PM VTPB_FMS7A Administrator authentication failed: "Administrator" (165.91.25.242).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanking you,

Sudharsan

This was a known issue with Server 7 on both Mac OS and Windows OS. There is a fix, but on Mac OS, it is extremely tedious.

Use the Terminal to close the files and stop the FMS daemons. Then just reinstall. That will likely take less time than the fix.

If you want the fix, I will post it tomorrow.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the easiest way to do this is to use the Terminal to close the files and then to stop the service/daemon. This is for Server 7 and 8 only, not for Server 9.

sudo SystemStarter stop "FileMaker Web Publishing"

fmserved stop

fmserver_helperd stop

Then when all this is done, just reinstall FileMaker Server.

I'll post later the rather complex method for deleting preferences and resetting the passwords.

Steven

OK, here is the method for managing the corrupted admin authorization password without reinstalling FileMaker Server.

[color:red] Be very careful doing any of this.

STOP all the FMS daemons that are running.

In /Library/FileMaker Server/Library/Preferences/ByHost/

there is a key called AdminAuth.

Delete this key.

Then reboot the server. Launching the FileMaker Server service will then require a resetting of the admin authorization password.

[color:red]Now the caveats and pitfalls. You must have root level access to do this, not merely be an Adminsitrator. Additionally, you may be required to change the ownsership of the directory to do this, in which case you will have to change it back to what it was originally.

Also, expect to be challenged for credentials repeatedly during this process.

You are operating here at a deep, deep level of the server computer. Exercise extreme care, or you could trash up a lot of the machine.

Hence, as recommended earlier, you may want to just reinstall FMS from the start.

Welcome to the world of Unix.

Steven

This topic is 5934 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.