remote server will not display available files

This topic is 5917 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am new to FileMaker and I am having difficulty connecting to a remote server. The "available files" do not appear. I entered the URL of the server and all seemed to work fine at this point however in the field at the right there is a list of "available files" which never appears. I am assuming my hardware firewall settings on my router are not letting me access the remote FileMaker server I need to access but I am not completely sure. Lets assume that is what is causing this inability to connect - a firewall issue. I need to break through my firewall somehow but without comprimising my security. I have not using any software firewall programs - just my Linksys router as my hardware firewall. How do I get through my router's firewall to enable me to use FileMaker to connect to the remote server?

My computer is a mac G3 running OS 10.4.11 and I am using FileMaker Pro 7 for the first time.

I am using a Linksys router (Wireless Router model WRT54GS) connected to a cable modem. The router has DHCP enabled. I phone Linksys tech support and they indicated I should try manually setting up my TCPIP settings. I am not sure how exactly to do this. They suggested:

manually assign my computer to 192.168.1.10

manually assign my router to 192.168.1.1

manually assign the two IP's my internet provider gave to me as my DNS servers. I am not sure how or where to do this - or any of this for that matter.

Then assign a port number to Filemaker Pro. I think this is done in the router admin setup. I am not 100% sure how to do this either - I will have to guess. Which ports exactly does FileMaker Pro use?

5003?

50003?

50006?

591?

2399?

5013?

I have heard all these port numbers are used in some way by FileMaker. Which is the one(s) I will need to know?

In summary, would someone be able to help me out a little here and let me know if this probably the reason why I am not able to connect to a remote server using FileMaker on my computer connected to the internet with my router? Is it a router issue at all? If so how can I remedy this?

I also do not want to compromise the security of my computer while making these changes to my internet connection. Will there me any disadvantages in terms of security (or less internet accessibility) if I manually connect rather that using DHCP? I am not sure what to do.

Thanks so much anyone for any suggestions.

PS I am not too familiar with technology of TCPIP and DHCP and would sure appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks!

Well, first you can see the server. That's good.

Second, check in the files themselves to be sure that you [color:red]did not set the names of the files to be hidden. There is an option for Do not display name of file in Open Remote or words to that effect. Be sure that is unchecked.

Second, as a starter, open Ports 5003, 50003, and 50006 and 16000 and 16001 for the server. Those are the core ports.

You can also refer to the FileMaker Tech Info Database article # 6427 for more information about ports.

Steven

• Newbies

Thanks Steven,

I'll give it a try. My main point is that I wish not to compromise any amount of my security after I make any changes - if I need to make any changes to my router settings. I wonder if opening ports will comprimise my security in any way compared to how my router is currently set up with its DHCP server. I'll first try the "Do not display name of file in Open Remote" solution and then try your port solution next. Thanks so much Steven!

• Newbies

Thanks Steven,

I don't have much control over the server machine but, regardless, I will take note of this advice for future use not to assign a DHCP address to a FileMaker Server - advice the server's webmaster would need to know. I know the server machine is working fine and set up correctly because all my friends are able to access the "available files" on the remote server except for me.

Back to troubleshooting..

Thanks for your help and that link (FileMaker Tech Info Database article # 6427). I will now read that article - I think it will help.

Thanks again!

This topic is 5917 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.