Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Bind FM6 runtime file extension error

This topic is 5893 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just got a new XP Pro machine, and reinstalled FM Developer 6 and 7. I'm working on a project that requires that I create runtime solutions using FM 6.

I tried to create a new runtime solution and all is well until I get to the specify file name extension screen. I leave the default .usr extension as usual. But now I get a caution dialogue box that reads: "The extension you selected is used by Windows or another application." There's an OK button (even though it's not OK!) and I have to cancel the whole process.

Here are the troubleshooting things I've tried: 1) uninstalled and reinstalled FM6; 2)uninstalled a MS SQL server printer activex control I recently added; 3)and created a solution with a file extension of .vsr, then renamed the file extensions as .usr. (The runtime engine refused to open the renamed files.) Nothing has worked so far.

Color me desperate for an answer! All my documentation refers to the files with the .usr extension, so it wouldn't be expedient to just change to another file extension.

Your expertise is most appreciated -

You develop for a troubled platform, there's a lot of the problems this despaired message reveals:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/193871/post/284247/fromactivity/myposts/#284247

...I can't get either why all these references to files seems so vulnerable, and therefore not be embedded in the runtime instead, when ram and storage at the day of age nowhere should fit 640K dos limitations - of course Gates was could have had a point or two back then:

http://tickletux.wordpress.com/2007/02/20/did-bill-gates-say-the-640k-line/

But a point of warning here, do not get too involved with the use of the binder, it's not fitting in the framework of the mission statement for Filemaker Inc. where the aim is "Groupware" - of course depending on the task at hand and the skills set, should other solutions be chosen if foil wrapped solutions is the goal.

--sd

Another update on the issue...

I copied a set of FM data files to my old laptop with FM6 developer installed, and there were no problems binding them into a runtime solution. That tells me it's not the data files themselves, but more likely a problem with the app. on the new machine.

Since the developer tool worked on the old laptop, I copied the entire FM6 folder from the old machine. Then I used it to replace the FM6 folder on the new laptop. The file extension message is still there!

Does this pique anyone's curiousity? Any insight on where to look next?

Summergirl

Oh, Happy Day! I figured it out!

I had to wipe out the old .usr file extension association and re-associate it with a FileMaker 6 runtime database.

Here's how I did it:

1. Under Control Panel, choose Folder Options.

2. Choose the File Type tab, then click the NEW button. (The .usr file extension was already listed, but associated with FM 6.)

3. In the Create New Extension box, type a file extension of USR.

4. Click the Advanced button and choose Filemaker Pro 6 Runtime Database from the list. Click OK, then OK again.

When I ran the FM Developer Tool everything worked as it should. Tah dah!

A very relieved Summergirl

This topic is 5893 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.