Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print PDF Stored in Container Field

This topic is 5860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before, but I've googled and searched and while I have come across some sample code none of it seems to work, so I'm appealing to you guys to solve my problem quickly and easily.

My database will be used for the purposes of batch printing PDFs. Each multi-page PDF has its own record and is stored in a container field. The user selects a number of PDFs, entering them into a portal. Then presses the print button. In an ideal situation this would present the user with a single print dialog that would fully print all the files in the portal.

So far, I've managed (using Applescript) to get all the files in the portal to open separately in Preview. However my efforts to get them each to Print have so far all failed. I understand that preview does not by default support most AppleScript commands, but that it is possible to enable them. I am hoping for a solution that will do this automatically and invisibly followed by simply telling preview to print, alternately, I'd like a script that would get preview to print without enabling the script dictionary for Preview. This solution needs to work on any Mac client connected to the database.

I'm not aware of anything that does what I need completely inside filemaker, but if you do feel free to suggest it. I'm looking for any solution, so long as it's clean and works with a default install of filemaker and OS X.

This topic is 5860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.