HELP! FP8 Server can't display a file in Remote List

This topic is 5816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Last night (Jun 11, 08) IT installed an MS OS patch to all desktops and servers. Apparently they rebooted the server.

Today, when I opened the Remote listing of Server-supplied files from a client machine, I don't see one of the files. 14 of the 15 show. No one can see that particular file from any client. Two or more clients had that file open when the server rebooted.

Opening the Databases folder on the server shows me that the 365MB file with its 75,000 records is there. (Whew!) If I drag it to my desktop, it opens.

Why can't the server display the file? The "Don't let the server Remote display this file" box is clear.

I ran Recover on the file and reloaded it as a renamed file. It doesn't show either.

What stops a given file from appearing in the Server Remote list?

I'm dead in the water.

Thanks

Recovering the file and continuing to use it was the wrong thing to do. If you still have the original file, close all files, stop FMS and remove that file. Open it in FileMaker Pro and save a copy as compacted (from the file menu). See if FMS will open that compacted copy. Coanult the logs for further information.

Rebooting a server with open files is about the worst thing that can happen to FileMaker files. I hope you can get your file back. If not, go to the last known good backup.

Steven

• Newbies

Thanks for the help. I did not change the original file yet. I made a copy and ran Restore on that as a test. That's why I know Restore didn't help. Neither the original nor the Restored copy are visible.

Can I do this "stopping of FMS" that you suggest using FM Admin software from my remote computer or do I have to have IT literally stop the server app?

I don't even know physically where the server is.

• Newbies

RESOLUTION OF PROBLEM:

Court Bowman at the Cleveland Consulting Filemaker Forum suggested that even though my invisible file was listed on the server, it might not be running and to look at status from inside Filemaker Server Admin.

In the recesses of my mind going back to our original server install months ago, I remembered that, when using Filemaker Server Admin, after connecting to the Filemaker server, viewing the hierarchical tree along the left side of the Filemaker Server Admin window allows me to see the "databases" folder and inside that, the "active FM7 files" folders.

Opening that "activeFM7files" folder shows all the files and whether they are running or not.

Sure enough, my problem file was not running. Now it is.

Thanks to Mr. Bowman for his help.

Dan

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.