Sign in to follow this  
Matt A.

Checkbox Question

I am working on a very simple database and this is my first time using checkboxes. I am am little confused on how exactly to get data from them, and the FileMaker Bible doesn't help too much.

The database I created is to create a list for outdoor activities (I know, I'm a geek). It has 2 tables, one containing the activities and the items needed (ex, Swimming; bathing suits, sunscreen, etc); the other table has the checkboxes so you just check the items you are going to do and it will populate a list for you, so we don't forget anything.

I can create another field as a lookup, but that only gets the first item checked, which I how I figured it would work. The checkbox is using a Value List created by the Activities field in the second table. I want to be able to check multiple items and get a master list with all the items needed for each individual activity.

Let me attach the file so you can see what I am talking about. I know there is a simple fix, but like I said, this is the first time I have used checkboxes and I have been using FileMaker since version 3.

Getaway_List_Maker.fp7.zip

You are much, much better off doing it with a relational structure, where each "item needed" is a record in a separate table.

Or more accurately, it's a three table setup:

Activities ; Join ; Items

(The table called Join needs a better name but I cannot think of one right now.)

I have never done a 3 table setup in such a situation. Explain how this works please. What is the purpose of the Join table?

I know there is a simple fix, but like I said, this is the first time I have used checkboxes and I have been using FileMaker since version 3.

Hi Matt,

I suspect that what you have in mind may be along the lines of a conditional value list, where the items to be included on the list change depending on what activities you have selected for a particular trip.

If that's the case, then you could simply set up checkboxes that show values from a Value List that's filtered based on the relationship you have created between your Activities and Getaway tables.

I am attaching a modified copy of your file in which I've added a text field called "ItemsNeeded" to the getaway table and attached a new ItemsNeeded value list to it. The items that appear on the list depend on what is selected in the Getaway::Activities Checkbox field (which is achieved by selecting the "Include only related values" option in the Specify Fields for Value List dialog when setting up the value list).

Have a look and see if that is the kind of thing you were looking for. :wink2:

Getaway_Checkboxes.zip