Server Maintenance This Week. ×

RAM Limitations and Cache spec recommendations

This topic is 5771 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My client has been running FileMaker Server 5.5 for a few years now, utilizing the Apparel Magic database system for managing their clothing production/sales business:

http://apparelmagic.com/

They've had problems in the past with database weirdness and some poor performance, and I'm trying to help them optimize their system within the technical constraints set by Apparel Magic (the fact that their databases are only compatible with old server/client versions.)

The client is running the server on a G5, dual-processor Xserve (which, because of the fact that it uses multiple G5 processors, Apparel Magic claims causes problems - can anyone vouch for that claim, and explain it?) with 1.5 GB RAM, plenty of hard drive space (OS is on one hard drive, data/databases are on another drive), and all systems have Gigabit NICs and are connected to a Gigabit switch. The only other service running on the Xserve is filesharing (this adds a small amount of load - as most files are small Word and Excel documents.)

Aside from the dual-processor claim/problem, would anyone recommend upgrading RAM, and if so, by how much? Because everything is 32-bit, and it's only running FMS 5 and AFS, the 'get as much as you can' statement doesn't really apply - there's only so much FM can utilize, and AFS performance isn't ever pushed, other than during nightly backups, and even then it's totally acceptable.

Also, what do you recommend for the database cache setting? We're running about 50 databases for a total of 250 MB.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Sincerely,

Dan

FMS 5.5 is not happy with multiple processors, true. At the very least is cannot take advantage of them; at worst there were some problems.

If your aim is to optimise FM Server then get rid of the file share. Don't argue about how small the load is, dedicate the box entirely to FM Server.

As much as I like Macs, for FMS 5.5 I'd recommend a PC running one of the supported operating systems. It'll be able to take advantage of modern faster processors. In fact, dedicate the G5 to the file share and set up a new PC box to FMS.

For cache settings and other optimisations, read the server best practices white paper on the FMI web site.

This topic is 5771 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.