Sports Calendars

rdhaden

This topic is 8168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database of sporting events, with fields Sport and EventDate. I have a calendar made of 37 portals (matching CalendarDate1 to EventDate, CalendarDate2 to EventDate...CalendarDate37 to EventDate) displaying all events for each calendar date. I would like to be able to let the user toggle "basketball," "football," "all," etc. so that the calendar displays only the matching events.

If I have a global field, gSportToggle, by which the user picks which sport to display, and each record has a calculation IndividualSportDate=Case(Sport=gSportToggle or gSportToggle="All", EventDate, "") then I could match calendar dates to IndividualSportDate. However, IndividualSportDate does not recalculate when the global field gSportToggle is changed.

If I make a related file with one record with field SportToggle, different users would all have to view the same sport.

Any ideas on how else I could accomplish this without creating 37 portals for each of 22 sports?

Never mind. I got it. Instead of trying to manipulate the right side of the relationship, I will manipulate the left. Instead of matching gCalendarDate1 to EventDate, I will have two text fields to match:

gSportCalendarDate1 (set via scripts, which script runs depending on what the user clicks on, each script setting a different sport)="Baseball" & DateToText(gMonthCalendarDate1)

and SportDate (a calculation)=Sport & DateToText(EventDate)

Thus, I will have 22 scripts (one for each sport) with 37 steps each (814 script steps) instead of 814 new relationships.

This topic is 8168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.