Can't open FMS9-Admin Console

This topic is 5744 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, brand new system:

Xserve with Leopard Server 10.5.4 installed and fully updated via Software Update.

FileMaker Server 9.0v3 (probably the absolute latest sub-version as I just downloaded it and installed it today).

1) Open 'FMS 9 Start Page' alias (http://localhost:16000/?page=splash) in Safari.

2) Safari promptly downloads something and the FMS9-Admin Console launches.

3) I am prompted to Trust FileMaker, Inc., which I do.

4) Immediately after that, I get an Application Error that says "Unable to launch the application."

I tried quitting the 3 FM Server background applications via Activity Monitor and that seems to break the Safari thing where it won't even download the mystery file that launches the console thing.

If I try the same steps from a remote machine running 10.4.11, I get a little farther, but then I get a Deployment message saying:

"The Database Server is not available. To edit server deployment, please start the Database Server first."

[Cancel] [Restart]

If I choose Restart, I then get the following message:

"Unable to start the database server. Please contact your system administrator for assistance."

I AM the system administrator. I can't tell you how irritated I get when I see messages like that.

Anyway, based on some web searches, I see the FMS9 console thing apparently has lots of problems. What's going on? I miss the old, easier to use FileMaker Server Admin app.

Be sure that the FM Server java wrapper is running. You may want to stop all FMS daemons via Activity Monitor and then use the Terminal to launch the daemons.

[color:red]

For the various daemons:

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms

Use of the sudo command requires authentication.

For the Admin Console:

fmsadmin START SERVER

fmsadmin STOP {options}

-f force disconnect of all clients

-m message sends message to clients

-t seconds wait time before disconnect

--grace-time a specified number of seconds (minimum 120) before clients are disconnected. Clients receive a message asking them to disconnect

Example: fmsadmin STOP --grace-time 180

For more information review the FileMaker Server Help PDF document that comes with the product.

HTH

Steven

Xserve with Leopard Server 10.5.4 installed and fully updated via Software Update.

I should have added that this actually might be part of the problem. We are starting to hear reports that the most recent OS patch (7/31) may be breaking things.

Steven

Thanks for the info. I don't need to host databases immediately (I'm doing a slow migration) so I might just wait for an update instead of subjecting myself to the command line.

I'll update this thread if I figure something interesting out (and keep an eye on the other threads going on here).

Why, an update from Apple or FileMaker Inc. of course. In the form of a version update.

I suspect you're right that a recent 10.5 Server update broke the FMS 9 console thingy, so since I'm not in a rush to host files, I would rather wait for a patch than deal with the command line. Yes, I can use the Terminal app and have done many times in the past, but I'm primarily interested in trying out the new console and it's capabilities.

• Newbies

I'm willing to give the command line a go. I need to get this running on Leopard and version 8 definitely won't work. I'm not sure that I followed your instructions correctly. I found the 3 processes in "Activity Monitor" that had "fms" in the name and killed them. Then I issued the command:

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

Then I issued the command:

fmsadmin START SERVER

I still get exactly the same behavior described in the original post. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• Newbies

Oh wait! Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought this was a command line way to get the regular interface running, but you were really saying use the command line to administer instead. Don't know how I misread that before.

This will work for me. Thanks.

Well, just an FYI, FileMaker, Inc. almsot never issues patches. They may issue an occasional v-rev. However, I know of only one instance where they did that in response to an OS chage on either platform.

Steven

Well, whaddya know... FileMaker released an update a few days ago. ;)

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0.3.326_mac_update.html

I installed this update (a process of replacing two files and running a permission fixer app) and I no longer get the original error messages I've been getting. However, I'm running into a new message for a new thread.

"Well, whaddya know... FileMaker released an update a few days ago."

Err, that update was released 18 March 2008 which is a couple of months ago.

In your original post you stated you had "FileMaker Server 9.0v3 (probably the absolute latest sub-version as I just downloaded it and installed it today)" which is probably why nobody suggested you check for updates. ;)

Wow... I'm pretty embarrassed now, haha.

I guess I assumed the full download that I originally referred to would have been the latest version but that's obviously not the case. Mud's on my face this time, especially since I can't even read the dates right! Ugh. It's a strange feeling being a full 5 months behind...

This topic is 5744 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.