Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't serve Filemaker through OSX 10.5 firewall

This topic is 5626 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running Filemaker 9.0v3 on an old Powerbook G4 (gotta upgrade that soon!), Mac OSX 10.5.5, and serving it to a very small number of people, maybe 3 or 4 at most. It was running fine, but yesterday I noticed that the firewall was turned off, so I thought I'd better turn it on. But now I can't configure the firewall to let requests to Filemaker through. I've added Filemaker to the list of applications which can receive incoming connections, but it does not actually do so; the client sees the server and list of files, but times out without opening. If I turn the firewall off, it works fine. I read that you have to open port 5003, but OSX 10.5 doesn't configure ports, it configures applications. Is there another application that I have to add to the firewall list to allow connections?

Sorry, what do you mean "check Bonjour"? Where does one check it? And do you mean check as in click a checkbox, or check as in check out the status of? Sorry to be so dense; I haven't used Bonjour and don't know how to set it up. Both machines are on an ethernet network; the server with a static IP, mine using DHCP.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. I've just got in the habit of using the following work around, which at least doesn't require you to totally shut down the Firewall.

1. Shut down filemaker

2. Go to the firewall application list on the computer that is serving, and delete filemaker from the list

3. restart your solution. It should then ask you if you want to allow filemaker access and you click Allow. You should be good to go. I have to do this on my serving computer every time I make a significant modification to my solution.

This topic is 5626 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.