Selecting from a value list

Cin

This topic is 5681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I apologize if this has been asked before...but I'm in a time crunch. I'm trying to figure out exactly the consequences of administering security onto a database for the first time. This is my situation:

I have a database where I only want people to be able to view and print data but not be able to add, delete, or change the data. I set up a user that can view only. I have a layout that users enter dates and then selects an account from a value list and then executes a report that gives the data from that account between the dates requested. Since I added the privileges I can no longer select the account from the drop down. I've tried to change the privilege to allow users to modify value lists and I still have the same problem. I don't have any experience in this section of filemaker. Any suggestions??

Cin :

What mode are you in when trying to select from the drop down list. It sounds like you are running a report, which is based on the fields that you enter. This tells me you are search/finding all records with the dates and whatever is in the drop down list.

One thing that will not allow you to enter something into a field is it's setting. In layout mode select the field, go to format... field/control... behavior and then make sure the check box is selected to allow field to be entered under either browse or find mode.... which ever mode you are trying to enter the field.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this report worked fine until I changed the permissions. When I change it back to what it was it works fine. I'm trying to figure out why this is happening so I can accurately setup security within my database.

One last thing I'm going to suggest is that you follow these instructions...

Go to your privilege set

Under Data Access & Design they list

Records:

layouts:... ect

Under records select custom privileges

From there highlight the table your fields are in.

Under field access select limited and make all fields view only except for the ones you need to enter for the report.(dates and drop down list) These need to be modifiable.

If this doesn't work I'm sure someone else will join this conversation and try and help you also.

I have a database where I only want people to be able to view and print data but not be able to add, delete, or change the data. I set up a user that can view only. I have a layout that users enter dates and then selects an account from a value list and then executes a report that gives the data from that account between the dates requested. Since I added the privileges I can no longer select the account from the drop down. I've tried to change the privilege to allow users to modify value lists and I still have the same problem. I don't have any experience in this section of filemaker. Any

Set the script to run script with full access privileges by checking the box at the bottom of the window in ScriptMaker.

Steven

This topic is 5681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.