Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Closing server file disconnects users

This topic is 5650 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can someone explain to me why when you close a file that is hosted on FileMaker Server, it disconnects all users who are running Filemaker?

A long time ago, it would allow you to close a server file and if someone had it open, it would give a file not found error and let them continue.

I realize there is room for data corruption but it shouldn't kick everyone out of all files because you close one file.

It gives the standard, lovely error message:

Communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established. All affected windows will be closed. Weekly I have to replace a large file with an updated file and it is so annoying when I have to restart my robot machine processes not to mention getting everyone out of FM just to replace a file.

Any insight is appreciated.

"Can someone explain to me why when you close a file that is hosted on FileMaker Server, it disconnects all users who are running Filemaker?"

That's not correct. FM Server forces each user to close the file if they have it open but it does not disconnect them from the server. They could continue to use any other files that they have open on the server.

If they only have one file open it might look as though they are being disconnected.

Are you closing all files or just the one? Or are you instructing the server to disconnect the users?

Something is not quite right.

Hi, Julie.

Something else is going on here. This is not normal behavior. Although as a general rule, I would not recommend doing this unless you are [color:red]absolutely sure that the file to be closed has no relationships at all to or from any other hosted file.

Steven

I am going to into the FMS Admin Console and closing the one file. I am not manually disconnecting users. The file I am replacing is a Pricing file from our vendor. It is linked to our Products file which is linked to many other tablesfiles.

Also, I checked the database and there is no On Exit script running.

Thank you for confirming that [color:red]this is [color:red]not normal behavior. Do you have any ideas on what I should do to test this out to find a solution to the problem? Have you heard of this happening to anyone else or is it just me....

Julie

This topic is 5650 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.