delete a record from a source database

symansky

This topic is 7246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a relatively novice user, have never posted a question but have a question whcih I could not find an answer to using the search

I have a portal that matches last names from a source database when I type in a last name in new database. I have created a button that executes a script that inputs the relevant information from the source into various fields in the new database. My question is how can I easily update the source database when some of these fields are modified (e.g. the address, email or phone number changes)? One way is to have a button in my portal that deletes the record in the source database. The advantage of this is that when I am done entering all my new entries I can input the whole new database into the source database in order to increase my source base. In this way I avoid duplicates. However, I could not figure out how to delete a record in my source while in my entry database. Warning: I am still using 4.1 although am going to order 5 very soon. Please explain the delete idea as well as provide alternatives.

Also hsould I cross post this to other forum

Errr, using names as a relationship key/match field is not a good idea, because if the name is ever changed (say it was mis-spelled) then the relationship will be broken and all the related records are lost.

Instead, make a serial number field in the master db and a nu,ber field in the related file and use these two for the relationship.

This topic is 7246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.