Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mac OSX shutting down

This topic is 5609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would ask for some advice on File Corruption. I'm

developing my system using FMSA on my Macbook. The files are being hosted on this machine, however I've occasionally ran out of battery power or I've switched off my computer whilst the file was being hosted or the computer has gone into sleep mode if I was not using it for a while. Can any of these actions actually corrupt my file, although their is no evidence that they gave been corrupted does anyone recommend a utility that will tell me whether the structure is still intact.

Thanks

Jalz

Yes, they could corrupt the files. My guess that it's only been because the files haven't been used that trouble has not occurred.

Had other user clients been using the hosted files when they server shut down then corruption would be more likely, because FMS might not have had time to flush its caches and write the data to the files on disk.

Regarding utilities to detect corruption, FMDiff is a file comparison utility (I haven't used it and cannot comment on its effectiveness).

There are some people here that would not use files that have been compromised like this.

Thanks Vaughan,

I have a backup of the files which I know have not been shut down like this. The only problem is I've made a number of updates to my latest set as opposed to the backup set. |I'll look into FMdiff, thank you for your advice.

Jalz

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.