Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Customizing Project Report from Task Mgmt Template

Julynn

This topic is 5595 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am building a database based on the FMP 8 template Task Management. In that template there is a script that creates a Project List using Sub-summary parts . . . which I don't fully understand. It lists the Project, then the Task, then the person or persons assigned to the task (see screenshots). I would like to create a similar report which shows only the records being browsed. Ideally, I'd like to have some Sort control also . . e.g. by Project or Status or Due Date. Is there an easy way for a novice to create this or modify the existing script?

layout_mode.jpg

project_list.jpg

I am building a database based on the FMP 8 template Task Management. In that template there is a script that creates a Project List using Sub-summary parts . . . which I don't fully understand. It lists the Project, then the Task, then the person or persons assigned to the task (see screenshots). I would like to create a similar report which shows only the records being browsed. Ideally, I'd like to have some Sort control also . . e.g. by Project or Status or Due Date. Is there an easy way for a novice to create this or modify the existing script?

Everything you want to do can be done. You need to understand the layout. It has a Header, 2 Sub-summaries, Body and Footer.

The first Sub-Summary is sorted by Project, the second Sub-summary is sorted by Task. The Body displays the data in the records fitting the 2 Sub-summaries. The report only displays data in the found set, I think in the example file this is all records.

If you want different sort orders you will need another layout for each group. You can modify the script to find the desired records, sort them and go to the correct layout.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the report is still showing all the Project files, not simply the files being browsed. Does that have something to do with the Sub-Summaries? (I've uploaded a screenshot of the script I am using.) I'm sure this must be simple, but I can't see what I'm missing.

Project_Script.jpg

I can't put a Find into the script because it would be different for each user. And a Go To Related Record would not allow a report to show multiple records.

I use the same script to show different data in a different layout and it works fine. For example, each employee can view their tasks by using a customized button, then they can sort their tasks by Due Date or Status or Task Name or whatever. Then they select the Print Report button which runs this script. What they see is only the records being browsed (i.e. their tasks), sorted by whatever field they have chosen.

The only difference I can see between these two reports that are running the same script is that one goes to a layout using Sub-Summaries and the other one does not. Which is why I thought the Sub-Summaries might be influencing the final result. Or am I totally off-base with that logic?

I can't put a Find into the script because it would be different for each user. And a Go To Related Record would not allow a report to show multiple records.

I use the same script to show different data in a different layout and it works fine. For example, each employee can view their tasks by using a customized button, then they can sort their tasks by Due Date or Status or Task Name or whatever. Then they select the Print Report button which runs this script. What they see is only the records being browsed (i.e. their tasks), sorted by whatever field they have chosen.

The only difference I can see between these two reports that are running the same script is that one goes to a layout using Sub-Summaries and the other one does not. Which is why I thought the Sub-Summaries might be influencing the final result. Or am I totally off-base with that logic?

The Go To Related Record(s) with the show related only will give you all records that are related. Sub-summaries require sorting to work. The sorting must be done in the same sequence as the Sub-summaries to work properly.

I usually scripts all reports, that keeps reports consistent.

Thanks, Ralph. I went ahead and set it up the way you suggested with a button for Open Projects, a button for Past Due Projects, etc. I wanted to give the user a little more leeway in customizing the report (i.e. in the selection of records) but this will work for now.

This topic is 5595 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.