Row per Layout Object

SmithTM

This topic is 5588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Thanks for looking at my question. I'm new to FileMaker, having been in other environments since the mid '80s.

We have a need to make a report that shows somewhat complex engineering data. We have the data in a table that is keyed by QuoteID and DataTag and DataTagSequence. The QuoteID would be related to other tables. The DataTag identifies the a particular piece of data (like a field name). The DataTagSequence allows for the nature of the data - unpredicatable number of entries in any particular DataTag. That is the sticky point - without that consideration we could pivot or crossTab the data into a single row by QuoteID.

Anyway, I can't figure out a way to report the various dataTags on a single page type report.

If I was using some of the Reporting tools with which I am familiar, I would add an object to the layout and type simple SQL to grab the data. Such as (SELECT value FROM table WHERE QuoteID = variable AND DataTag = "F208") This would return all rows related to the F208 DataTag to the layout object. This would allow me to place the various DataTags in appropriate locations on the form.

Is there a comparable object in FileMaker?

• Newbies

Here are 2 mockups of data with an associated basic mockup of a form layout.

Note that the data can change: there may be varying numbers of sequences. This makes it difficult to change the data structure (schema) to a single row. Also note that there are more than 500 DataTags per quote.

Sample1.JPG

Sample2.JPG

This topic is 5588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.