Adding multiple users to mulitple databases

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

It seems that someone should have asked this one already. But after a couple hours searching I figure its time for me to ask.

We have 200+ databases we need to web publish on FM Server 10. We would like to give each of the 9 sales rep/users a personal login, for usage tracking. Typing each name and password in each database will be very time consuming and subject to (my) human error.

Pointing me toward the proper forum/post or any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BillP

Welcome to FM Forums.

OK, first you will not be publushing 200+ databases on Server 10. The limit is 125 files, each of which can have multiple tables.

External Server Authentication is your best bet here. First you set up the Privilege Sets and Groups in each file as shown in the attachment.

Then set up either domain (AD or OD) groups and Accounts or local security groups and Accounts on the server.

Then you use the option in server to have the authentication performed externally.

There is an entire Tech Brief on this topic.

Steven

ExternalAcctUserData.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Ok,

1st, We consolidated the beginning 200 databases down to a few, with multiple tables, grouping them alphabetically, A COILS, B COILS, C COILS etc...

Publishing with PHP assistant, the website headers now contain the "DB name" rather than the Table name. IE:"A COILS", rather than Amana Coils".

Is it possible to change/edit the header name, and other non database related aspects, using the Filemaker Pro, or Server, products? Or, should we/can we, create and add a template theme to the choices in the PHP assistant?

Or must we use an editor and change each PHP file at the code level?

Completely wasting our 1 Free Support call using the "Access Code". I followed their advice, and reread the entire PHP web publishing help file. Didn't learn anything I hadn't already read. And absolutely nothing that even hinted what to do in this case.

2nd, One of the fields is displaying the complete numbers rather than limiting to the 2 decimal pts set in FM Pro. IE: 15.037908852515, rather than 15.04.

It is imported from an alternate source. Any suggestions on this?

Finally, at the risk of making someone angry...

What is with the "Known Issue" that FMS websites have with internet explorer? It cuts off the right hand side of the page. This should be OPENLY advertised. [color:red]DATA WILL NOT DISPLAY COMPLETELY, OR CORRECTLY WITH INTERNET EXPLORER. Not compatible with the browser, 80% of the planet uses??? If you can't display properly on IE, then you have no business being published and representing any professional entity on the internet. It discredits both you and the entity using your product.

That is either

A:Poor Programming, Bug

B:Malicious Programming, Feature

Either way it is incompetent, unprofessional programming, and bad business. Potential customers should be emphatically informed of this, A:Bug, B:Feature, before purchasing. It would be a definite deal breaker in many cases. Wished I had known before recommending FM server to another company. This Bug/Feature will be included in all of my future discussions/recommendations. I'm feeling pretty stupid, recommending an internet product not compatible with 80% of internet users.

As recommended by Filemaker Support. We must now include a "Not Compatible with IE" disclaimer on all our FMS published websites: I tried several ways but there is just no way to make it sound professional. DOH won't display properly with IE, please download any other browser so you can display the content.

The obvious question is, Then why are we using Filemaker Server? With all the time and money invested, we're up to our necks in FMS and can't get out without throwing away a large chunk of cash and starting from scratch.

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.