Upgrade to 10, Print Script To Multiple Printers Broken

Mark DeNyse

This topic is 5523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution in FM 9 that print reports and labels to different printers from within a script. In FM 9, all worked well - reports went to a laser printer and the label to the label printer. After upgrading to 10, things aren't working well. Now when the script is run, the report prints to the laser and then to the label printer, but the next item in the script should print back on the laser, but it prints on the label printer. We've tried resetting all of the page setup/print script steps while in 10 with no luck.

I tried creating a very simple file in 10 to recreate the problem but 'un'fortunately it works like it should, so it's clearly something about the pre-10 (actually from FM 7, then 8, and 9) file.

Anyone have any ideas of how to work around this (short of reverting to FM 9)?

We have had problems with this also. We're running Vista Home Premium with FM10; not sure if Vista contributes. It worked properly in FM9.

You can try a VBScript to change the printer. This is documented in post #247989 here.

I'd like to totally avoid the use of Page Setup script step; this would be possible if one could set page size in a vbscript (e.g., with setprinter command from Windows Server 2003 toolkit). Changing printers alone, doesn't update page size between label printer (4"x6") and 8.5" x 11" laser printer.

Perhaps we should try creating a new script, that ONLY changes printers, and call it, and/or put that script in a separate FM10 file, that may help determine if issue relates to FM10 conversion.

Also, try purchasing a parallel printer card (about $20 on eBay). Printer switching (at least in FM9) worked better with parallel or USB printers, than with network printers under Windows.

To me it seems some of the bugs in previous versions of FM (v8.5 and previous) relating to switching printers, "came back" in FM10.

This topic is 5523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.