FM Pro 5.3 Freezing on opening of server database

This topic is 8609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We are running Filemaker Pro Server 5, hosting about 15 bug databases. There are probably a couple hundred people accessing these databases from various machines without any problems.

There is one machine running Win98 that freezes everytime I try to open any of those databases. FM Pro 5.3 will run, I select open existing file, click on Hosts, select the IP of the server, it gives me the list of databases, I select one, then type in the password, then the outline of the window for the database appears and it freezes. Sometimes I can ctrl-alt-del and End Task it, sometimes it actually freezes the mouse, but ctrl-alt-del a few times will reboot the machine.

The machine is a PII 350mhz with 192 megs of RAM running Windows 98 Second Edition. I have de-installed and completely deleted all Filemaker files, then re-installed and it still does it. I have disabled every currently running piece of software (only explorer and systray in the task manager) both during the install and when I'm trying to open the file.

Anyone every see this happen? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BDA

• 1 month later...

I would try to open the DBs in question on another server. If they crash that server, the files may be corrupted. If they work fine, I would try to re-install the OS. It seems to be the only thing you haven't tried.

I think that this is a hardware problem and should be trouble-shot as such.

Good luck...

Fishma

This topic is 8609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.