Server Version Question

This topic is 8608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We received this message from one of our members in Australia. I don't know the answer since I don't have the server version. I think he can run 4.1 with Server 3.0. Can someone help me out? Doug

>> Basically, We have a small LAN (about 13 stations) and we are currently using a database build on Filemaker 4.1 and parked on our Server. The Server is running FileMaker Server 3.0 only while the Guest machines are running 4.1.

In order to install the new database onto the server, does this mean we have to install a copy of Filemaker Pro 4.1 on our Server as well? The database will only be accessed via the other PC

• 4 weeks later...

Server 3 runs FMP4 databases ok *except* that the exact match (==) find criteria won't work. If you have scripts or web searches or anything that relies on exact match then Server 3 will break them. AFAIK there is no work around.

Also I know that Server 3 does not support web companion. To get web sharing, FileMaker inc recommend opening the databases in Server, then running a copy of FMP 4 (on the same or another machine) that opens the necessary files *through* Server 3. This is the most efficient I believe.

Another concern, but one about which I have no knoweledge, is ODBC. My guess would be that server 3 does not support ODBC.

It's a shame there isn't a server version 4...

This topic is 8608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.