Question on get(temporarypath) function

This topic is 5460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good day everyone,

I've got a little problem regarding the above mentioned function. I need to know how it works.

My FMP DEV is telling me that this function is called from within the FMP 9 engine every time you open up a file. Is that true?

I just thought that this function is something I would use in a script or calculation field to get the path location of that temporary folder. But never would I think that this is activated every time you open a database file.

Can anyone confirm how this function works, also if it is true that it’s called upon every time a DB is opened, can it be disabled?

I work in a corporative environment and all the users C drives are in RO mode. So, it would require us to change that on all our clients' machines and I’m not even sure the security grp would allow this.

Also, if this is true, and you’ve seen what my work environment is, any ideas on work-arounds?

Thank you very much,

Patrick

FileMaker Pro needs to write cached data and whatnot to disk. These get written to the temporary folder. Each time the FMP application is opened a new temporary folder is created for that session, and it's deleted when FMP quits.

The Get( temporarypath ) function allows the developer to determine what the path is. It does not activate the path or anything like that. The temporary folder needs to be there for FMP to function.

The temporary path is useful for developers because it's one place where files can be saved to disk even if the rest of the computer is locked down. (The other place is the user's documents folder, and there is a function to get that path too.)

This topic is 5460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.