FMP Server through a Firewall

This topic is 8489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Has anyone seen a product that allows changing passwords, editing fields, etc. for databases on an FMP server installation without going through a network share and setting the database to single user? We have a 2GB database hosted outside a corporate firewall, and the current process for doing admin work is to close the database and ftp it to the DBA's machine, Open it in single user, modify, then FTP back. Since FMP server evidently hosts single user files by setting them to Multi-user, we can't modify them in place from the host. Since the files are outside our firewall we can't use a network share to open them in single user.

Would appreciate any pointers.

If you're using FMP and FMS 5, you can create and edit fields while the file is being served by FMS. The only caveat is that you are the only one that can be logged onto the file when you access define fields. If anyone is logged into the file, it while give you a list and you can ask them to log off.

As for password changing, as long as you are just changing passwords and not setting access privileges, you change log into the file with the password you want to change and use the change password feature to do that change.

HTH

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply!

We saw that we can edit fields, but I guess I now need to be more specific. What my DBA wants to be able to do is change layouts and administer passwords for other users. I am not the FMP expert, but as I understand it, he has different levels of access for different fields and layouts different levels of access for different users on each layout/feild. It sounds pretty complex to me, but that is how he has it set up. He is convinced that FileMaker won't let him administer this remotely.

This topic is 8489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.