Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Backup slowed to 40 X of previous

This topic is 5438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a 1+ Gb file that was taking just over one minute to backup with no lock outs or perceived delays; after a recent anti virus renewal/upgrade and subsequent reboot our back ups now take 40 minutes or more and lock out clients.

Some observations:

I temporarily disabled our av ware (AVG 8.5) with no change to backup times.

If I leave a RDP logon active (no logoff) during the backup time the db will always fail verification. It appears that a MS service running during an active logon causes the problem.

It appears to me that since the latest reboot we have more MS services running that we don't need. I've stopped and disabled several services with no change to the backup time. Our primary and nearly exclusive use of our SBS 2003 server is to host FMS9 and db, act as a file server and as an internet gateway.

I can send system specs if needed, I just don't think it's a hardware issue. Thanks in advance for any help,

mh

Make extra-doubly sure that the folder the the hosted FMP files live in is excluded from the anti-virus software. I'd probably also exclude the backup folder too.

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for taking a look at this; I did exclude both paths early on and even turned AV off prior to a backup with no change to backup time.

Any other input is greatly appreciated,

mh

My only other suggestion is that the disk is filling to the point where FMS has to compress the backed-up files. Or maybe it's massively defragmented. (Only guesses.)

This topic is 5438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.