FM Server Hangs (99% CPU utilisation - NT)

This topic is 8476 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've installed FileMaker Server 5 on a COMPAQ server running NT v4 (SP5). Things were running fine for a few weeks but now that all our Filemaker databases have been moved over to the new server (84 files), the FMSERVER.EXE tasks periodically consumes 99% of the CPU, forcing me to re-boot. The service cannot be stopped. Has anyone else run into this?

We're running on a COMPAQ PROLIANT DL380, with 128Mb of RAM and RAIDed (mirrored) disks. I've alotted 40Mb for cache. We've had some further incidents and it now appears that this problem occurs when a new record is added to a certain file (although this doesn't always happen, it has now occurred on this file a half a dozen times). I've done a RECOVER on the file, but the problem persists.

[This message has been edited by rsokoloski (edited February 27, 2001).]

We have discovered the problem. One of the fields in our file was defined as "Auto-enter" with a serial number being the source. The "next value" definition for the serial number contained the text "SPM-". For some reason FileMaker Server 5 would periodically (but not always) go into some type of infinite loop consuming 99% of the CPU when a new record was added to the database. I moved the "SPM-" text down to the "data" definition of the Auto-Enter field and we have had no problems since.

I guess this is a bug in Filmaker Server. It should not allow you to specify serial number parameters that will hang the system.

This topic is 8476 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.