Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Server and a UPS

This topic is 5431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have been put in charge of finding out the behaviors of FM Server 9 under a UPS. After a power failure I have a script to close open files (fmsadmin close) then stop the server (fmsadmin stop) before the machine is shutdown. Problem I am having is when the system automatically comes back online the FM Database Server does not automatically resume. Is there a way to specify FM to automatically startup when the system starts up from a UPS Shutdown?

Can you explain the problem: is it that when power returns the machine does not start up again, or that the machine starts up but FM Server is not hosting the files?

If it's the latter, there is an FMS configuration setting to allow FMS to start automatically.

However it's generally NOT a good idea to do this. If there are a couple of power failures in quick succession, the machine might turn off and on faster than the hosted files can be closed and opened. This will toast them good and proper.

The other reason not to enable this feature is that the server will re-open the files each time the machine is restarted. If you're performing OS updates that require multiple restarts this can also cause the files to be toasted.

Also remember that after a power failure the UPS battery will be depleted and it won't recharge for several hours. During this period the server will be vulnerable to power loss because the UPS may not have capacity for a safe shutdown.

This topic is 5431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.