Hosted files on server can't be opened by guest

This topic is 8347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've just installed FM 5 server, converted all my FM3 databases to FM5, and moved them to the FM 5 server folder. I've started FM5 Server, and activated all the files. But I can't open the files from a guest computer. The files show up using the "hosts" button in the "Open" dialog box, but I get a "file cannot be found" dialog on the guest computer, which is running FM 5.0. If I use remote administrator to 'stop' the database, I can then open it, although I'm then hosting it.

Any thoughts on how I can open server hosted files from my PC?

Many thanks,

Jack

Hi,

If you only open one file you can run into this problem. I assume that the open file needs info from a related file (fields on a layout via a relationship) and the system is looking for this data file. By default it's looking on the disk where you first created those files, so on your local disk. But they are no longer there ...

Best way to overcome this situation is to open all files from the FM-server in one go. You can do this with a script from - lets call it the master/menu file - and use the FILE OPEN script step to open all files.

Best regards,

Erwin

I would also suggest that you check the following :

On the clients machines, check the application preferences (that is Edit menu -> Preferences -> Application); in the 'General' tab, make sure that the network protocol that you are using is selected.

I hope this helps wink.gif" border="0!

This topic is 8347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.