Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server 5.5 on SBS 2003, Client 6 on Windows 7 or Vista?

This topic is 5362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading my post. I work in a Small Business Server 2003 environment with XP workstations. We've run a Filemaker solution on Server 5.5/Client 6 for about 3 years and that solution is will be upgraded to Server Adv 10 (on a new server) /Client 10 in the next few months. However, it is not a full migration. Many users will need to access historical records in the legacy version after the switch is thrown.

The rub: we need to acquire several new computers and we do not want to pay $100 to downgrade to XP. I'm confident in Windows 7 as a production OS and I would like to know if anyone has found success installing Client 6 on Windows 7? How about Vista?

I am aware of Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 but I have not been able to test it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My best,

Shawn

You cannot run more than one version of FMS on any one box. SO if the new machine is running FMPS 10 it cannot also be running FMS 5.5.

The only exception is using server virtualisation, but that's kind-of creating more than one "box".

• Newbies

That is correct. We intend to install a new, dedicated server for FMS 10 Adv.

In the meantime I'm sharing the FM10 test files from FMP10 on my computer. I have been running FMP10 and FMP6 simultaneously (6 is talking to a 5.5 server) with no perceivable trouble. Do the clients have the same "one box" limitations as the server products?

Thanks,

-Shawn

This topic is 5362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.