Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS on Snow Leopard minimum RAM increase

This topic is 5334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi,

to run FMS on X.6 , the specification has quadrupled the minimum RAM requirement from 1 MB to 4MB, and recommended is now >4MB

Anyone have any real insight into this, given that X.6 is meant to be a leaner cleaner X.5? i.e. not a different architecture per se.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-10-specifications.html

Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server version 10.6 (Intel-based Mac)

See details

CPU: Dual Core

RAM: >4GB RAM

Hard drive: 80+ GB

CPU: Dual Core

RAM: 4GB RAM

Hard drive: 80+ GB

All codes are p.t. fat, meaning that you both have PPC as well as Intelcode written into the software, to handle deployment differences - unnecessary bloat. A series of 3rd paty tools can do some trimmings to get rid of the redundant code set. I use this tool to minimize...:

http://www.xslimmer.com/

However isn't it clear if FMS is made 64 compliant, but if it is is it just obvious that the more ram which could be addressed directly the faster will it work, so having ram instead of hardware storage would be preferable.

--sd

The minimum ram required has quadrupled from 1MB (X.5 leopard) to 4 MB (X.6 snow leopard)

That is not about the most it can utilise, the specification is now stating a 400% increase is the minimum requirement.

I have yet to install, but I would not expect the fmsd to be using 400% more running under rosetta/snow leopard than leopard.

<<

All codes are p.t. fat, meaning that you both have PPC as well as Intelcode written into the software, to handle deployment differences - unnecessary bloat. A series of 3rd paty tools can do some trimmings to get rid of the redundant code set. I use this tool to minimize...:

>>

yes, universal; and familiar with xslimmer ability to strip out redundant code.

yes more RAM is invariably preferrable, but that is not the issue.

The issue is that FM are now stipulating 4 GB MINIMUM for Snow Leopard cf. 1 GB for Leopard.

You might consider the possibility that the 1 GB recommendation was not correct?

As a matter of Best Practice, the minimal amount of RAM for FileMaker Server on either platform since Server 7 has been 2 GB. An amount of 4 GB was recommended for instances where web publishing was involved in the all on one configuration or where there was a larger number of files and/or users.

Steven

This topic is 5334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.