Problem installing SC in FMS 10

This topic is 5326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm having a couple issues installing SuperContainer with FileMaker Server 10 (running on Windows Server 2008). Any help is appreciated!

First, the SC documentation says to "copy the entire SuperContainer download folder to your server, and double-click the Installer.jar file..." How/where do I copy the SuperContainer folder? There are a lot of folders within my FileMaker Server folders! (This is probably a very elementary question.) I am running XML instant web publishing (but no other kind) - is that sufficient?

Currently, I copied the SC folders into the top-level FMS folder. I double-clicked on Installer.jar, and hit the "install" button. Then I tried to open the Super Container Server .jar file and I get the message, "Cannot run SuperContainerServer: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Directory C:Documents and SettingsSuperContainer could not be created due to an unknown error."

When I try to create the file C:Documents and Settings manually in C:, my computer says, "The file in New File will be moved to C:Users". And the folder I created disappeared (it's not even in C:Users).

Grrrr!

I'm also open to running SuperContainer outside of FileMaker Server, but it doesn't seem to want to do that either...

There isn't a particular directory you need to put the SuperContainer (and all the files and folders in it) in to run the installer.jar file, as long as they are all together. The "to your filemaker server" bit just means the machine which you are running FMS on, not the FMS directory in particular. I often save files to my desktop temporarily just so they are easy to find. You can download SuperContainer from http://360works.com/supercontainer/.

The installer is trying to write to the XP directory, which is Documents and Settings. Vista, Server 2008, and 7 do not have this directory. The installer is configured to detect vista, but the current version does not detect 7 or s2008. This is fixed in the next update of SuperContainer.

In the meantime, you can perform a manual installation. The instructions are as follows:

Manually Installing SuperContainer 2.0 and higher

1. Determine your INSTALLATION_PATH

o FMS9/10 on OS X: /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpe-tomcat/bin/

o FMS8 on OS X: /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/

o FMS7 on OS X: /Library/FileMaker Server 7/Web Publishing/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/

o FMS9/10 on Win: c:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpe-tomcat/bin/

o FMS8 on Win: c:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/

o FMS7 on Win: c:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server 7/Web Publishing/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/

1. Copy the SuperContainer folder to your INSTALLATION_PATH. Only copy the directory called 'SuperContainer', not the entire SuperContainer_2.0 directory.

2. Optionally, modify the tomcat configuration files to serve SuperContainer content on port 80

1. Determine your TOMCAT_CONFIG_FILE path

+ Mac OS X: the file will be called mod_jk.conf or mod_jk_paths.conf, and will be in your FileMaker server directory

+ Windows: the file will be called uriworkermap.properties, and will be in your FileMaker Server directory.

1. Add the appropriate lines to mount the SuperContainer webapp

+ Mac OS X: JkFmMount /SuperContainer/* cwpe

JkFmMount /SuperContainer* cwpe

+ Windows: /SuperContainer/*=cwpe

/SuperContainer*=cwpe

After saving your changes, restart your web service (tomcat, IIS, FMS) and all associated services. Restarting your computer will work as well. SuperContainer should now be up and running!

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately, I'm still sort of a novice to playing with these files manually. Here are my next questions, as I follow the directions given:

1. I copied the SuperContainer folder (but not the entire directory downloaded from SC) into the FMS9/10 path for Windows indicated above.

2. I can see that a file called uriworkermap.properties is in my FileMaker Server directory. But what do I do with that file now?

3. What does it mean to "add the appropriate lines to mount the SuperContainer webapp"? Where do I go to type in the lines given for Windows?

Thanks, and sorry for how new I am to this!

The lines you need to add to the file are listed right below the line telling you to add them. You will need to right-click the file and choose "open with" (or "open" if the open with option is not available) and select notepad from your list of programs to open it with.

Once you have added the lines to the file, make sure that you save it before you close it. After that, you will be able to restart web publishing and supercontianer should be up and running!

Thanks, but I have one other question:

To which file should I be adding the lines? If I try adding the lines to the uriworkermap.properties file, I am unable to save the file since my computer doesn't know how to write a ".properties" file and it gets confused. (More accurately, it says, "Windows cannot create [path to file]uriworkermap.properties file. Make sure the file name and path are correct.")

Thanks again for your help with this!

Are you making a new file or editing the one which is already there? You only need to edit the file, not create a new one. If you are getting a file chooser window you are creating a new file.

Call in to the office at the number below and ask for me and I will be able to help you with this.

This topic is 5326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.