Server Maintenance This Week. ×

<<field>> from other table?

This topic is 5286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, this is probably a very obvious question, but I'm trying to generate a number of letter templates that simply uses data base information in the letter.

For example,

--------------------------

<< / />>

Dear <>

--------------------------

How do i get FM to insert data from another table? for example, I have a table of database users details, name, phone numbers, email addy etc. that I want filemaker to automaticall insert <<...>> into the letter templates so that users will have a personal yet generated letter for clients. for this, I've allready set up a get (accountname), but am not sure how to get it into the written text?

when I enter anything in the merge parametrers '<< >>' in text, I can't get filemaker to display the infor from my user table...

I've got a feeling i'll look like a goose here but Its doing my head in...

any ideas?

Instead of typing in the field name directly, use the Merge Field... item in the Insert menu.

In that dialog, change the choice at the top of the dialog to something other than the "Current Table". Choose your intended field from a related table.

This method makes it easy to get the exact typing correct. After it is inserted, you can see the format required. (It is the related table name followed by two colons followed by the field name in the related table. E.g. Employer::Name)

If there are no related tables, then you need to modify your database to create related tables.

Edited by Guest

ok. You're spot on with what I was asking for. eg, <>.

but I cant seem to set the relationships correctly.

I have a table called with the corresponding fields:

users: userID, fullname, phone, mobile

I want to store a record for each employee and volunteer. Each user also has a definded account and prevailage set.

What I want to do is use the 'get (accountname)' to call who is accessing the database and use the details in their record to use in letter templates that can be printed, i gues like a mail merge.

When I put in the correct parameters, nothing shows up.

How do I insert or call FM to check the users 'accountname', go to the record for that account, and enter in the full name and phone details in a letter template?

This topic is 5286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.