Server Maintenance This Week. ×

filemaker 5 and 6 compatibility

This topic is 5261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I have an old database running on FileMaker Pro 6. I am in the process of rewriting the whole thins in MySQL but I would like to be able to continue to use the old database for a few months at least, without upgrading the whole database to a newer version of FileMaker which I have little experience with. I only have two copies of FM6, so I can only use it on two computers (networked). I'm finding it difficult to get hold of further copies of FM6. Does anyone know whether other versions of FileMaker (e.g. 5 or 7) can be used to connect to my server (which is running FileMaker 6 client version).

Thanks,

Tom

FileMaker 5 and FileMaker 5.5 should be able to connect to a FileMaker 6 Pro served file.

They won't be able to use any of the features that are specific to version 6 though.

FileMaker 7 cannot be used to connect as a client to a database served by version 6.

Note that if all you are trying to accomplish is to add some more clients on the network, you could explore using Instant Web Publishing to let additional users connect to the served database using only a web browser. No additional client installations of FileMaker Pro are required for that. It's not as good as "the real thing", but for limited usage it is often good enough.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.