Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Barcode 128

This topic is 5229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just purchased the 128 barcode program from Brian

Dunning with the understanding that the code 128 barcode would be compressed and therefore easier to print on labels that have a limited amount of print space. To my suprise, I find that a typical 3of9 code prints out smaller than the 128 . . both using a 12 or 24pt font. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or did I misunderstand about the compression of 128.

I just purchased the 128 barcode program from Brian

Dunning with the understanding that the code 128 barcode would be compressed and therefore easier to print on labels that have a limited amount of print space. To my suprise, I find that a typical 3of9 code prints out smaller than the 128 . . both using a 12 or 24pt font. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or did I misunderstand about the compression of 128.

Amy,

In fact, the Code 128 bar code you purchased is NOT compressed. While Code 128 is full ASCII (versus the limited character set of Code 39), it adds stop and start characters and switch characters to the output. Even the "C" character set is not forward looking, i.e., checking whether four or more numbers are used in a row (this is where the major compression or optimization occurs). All this, of course, makes an uncompressed Code 128 bar code, such as the one you purchased, longer than the typical Code 39 bar code for the same characters.

If you want compression for use on limited space labels, Barcodet's Code 128 Pro accomplishes this quite nicely. Using the "Thin" fonts allows even further compression (up to as much as 40%). But please note that these require at least a 600 dpi printer.

Regards,

C. J.

Life $uccess Institute

356 Salem Turnpike

Bozrah, CT 06334-1518

(860) 886-7141

www.LifeSuccess.org

This topic is 5229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.