Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Accessing Referenced Files

RyanB

This topic is 5219 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure if this is the correct area to post but my question is regarding security.

Some of our databases are getting very big because of files and images stored in containers. We are thinking about setting up a process for storing files on our file server and reference them in Filemaker. We know how to do this but I can't seem to overcome a security issue.

When accessing referenced files from a file server the user obviously has to have credentials to access the file server. We may have files from databases they do not have access to on the file server. How do we allow people to access referenced files without giving them access to other files that may be stored on the file server they don't have access to. I don't want to have to setup a folder with different credential for each database. I was thinking of just one big catchall folder.

I don't want people to be able to leave FileMaker and just start browsing the mounted network drive.

I was thinking of setting up a way to copy the referenced file to the temp path and open it from there. In this case I still think the network drive would need to be mounted.

Any input would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, you're going about this wrong. If--and in my mind that's a big IF, you want to use the referenced file approach, then you'll need a directory on the file server that has permissions that restrict its access. All the other, non-FileMaker stuff would be stored in other directories, each of which has its own, separate permissions.

Now you are faced with being sure that users of the database have access to the FileMaker pictures directory on the file server. Probably the easiest way to do this with with Groups from Active Directory or Open Directory.

Steven

This topic is 5219 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.