Automatically Converting Chinese Simplified Text to Traditional

This topic is 5192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am looking for a way to automate taking Chinese simplified text in one field, converting it to Chinese traditional text, and copying it into a new field. I have a rather large FMP 8 database that has image captions stored in Chinese simplified text. Now, all the captions need to be in traditional as well. We are currently doing this by hand - copying the text into MS Word or OS X Stickies and then using the ChineseTextConverter tool in the OSX Tiger services. Then we copy the new text back into FMP.

I was hoping that this could be automated using FMP script or applescript, but I don't know where to start. It seems that the ChineseTextConverter tool does not work in FMP directly; thus why we copy and paste into an external application. I also could not find any references regarding the use of applescript with the ChineseTextConverter.

Has anyone dealt with this before? The database would be quite beautiful if it had a "convert to traditional" button or a field that automatically did the calculation (of course, I am hesitant to make it too automatic for fear that it might be too processor intensive... so, ideally this would be a script that I could run on a selection of records rather than a field that auto-calculates.)

Thank you so much for any help!!! I am rather new to this forum. I hope I am posting this in the right section. It seems like a "left brain" issue.

Kindly,

Phoebe

This topic is 5192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.